I. Cost of attending Weber State University (2017-18)
A. What state do you have residency in?
1. If you are a Utah resident and qualify for the resident rate, then tuition will be $4,456.00 + the required Student Fees of $883.00 = $5,339.00 per academic year (includes both Fall and Spring semesters), OR...
2. If you are not a Utah resident and/or don't qualify for the resident rate, then tuition will be $13,369.00 + the required Student Feeds of $883.00 = $14,252.00 per academic year (includes both Fall and Spring semester)
B. Regardless of residency status, there are additional costs to consider when attending college full time. Some of these additional expenses vary and could include: housing, transportation costs, books and course fees (if you choose a major which requires it).
Weber State University tuition can be found here. And, these number might change slightly in the Spring of 2017, if there is a tuition increase.
We will also work with you to find any academic scholarship money you may be eligible for as well. Many of our competitors have academic awards in addition to debate scholarships.
Incoming first year students out of high school who complete the university wide scholarship application can see what academic scholarships they could be eligible for by locating their GPA and test scores on this scholarship chart.
In addition, we encourage all applicants to fill out a FAFSA for the current year. Even if you don't take a loan, completing the paperwork makes you eligible for federal grants you don't have to pay back. Hence, doing so early open up the available mechanisms to make your tuition bill as low as possible.
II. Weber State University Scholarship Process: Three Critical Steps.
Please follow all the steps in order. Your application will not be considered by the selection committee if it is not completed by the first date of review. Application review will begin on Jan 17, 2017.
1. Apply to Weber State as a degree seeking, full time student. It only take a couple minutes. There is a $30 application fee. Please note: we do not scholarship part time students. Follow this link to get the admission process started: http://www.weber.edu/getintoweber
2. After completing the first step, a student portal will be created for you. Using the portal, please apply for the university-wide scholarship application. This is a very important step. It only takes a few minutes (it will automatically allocate need based and academic scholarship monies to you, if applicable). Please do this as soon as possible by following this link: http://www.weber.edu/FinancialAid/apply.html
3. Request a debate team scholarship application by emailing Oguevara@weber.edu from your *Weber State student portal*. We will not distribute scholarship applications to any other email channel, nor will we accept them if they are sent, even if otherwise complete, from a non-weber.edu email. You must first be accepted to the university before we can discuss debate scholarship opportunities with the squad.
Applications will be accepted starting: December 16, 2016. First review date is January 17, 2017. We strongly recommend having your application complete by the first day of review as scholarship monies are limited.
Debate Scholarship Requirements
We encourage you to apply for a WeberEdge scholarship. It is a great scholarship that pays the $8321.00 tuition charged to out of state students. Thus, an out of state student would ONLY pay the same amount of tuition dollars as in state student: $4,326.00 tuition for the year. ($857.00 in fees, however, must also be paid). Make sure to read and understand the terms and conditions as well. Better yet, it also stacks with both need-based grant money, academic merit scholarship, and some debate scholarships. So, it is possible that the EDGE - combined with grant money and scholarships - could reduce your tuition bill to zero.
You must, however, agree to live in our dormitories and agree to purchase a meal plan. That cost is estimated at between $3,990-6,600 a year. Our dormitories are brand new and all the meals are provided by Sodexho who did a wonderful job catering the 2013 National Debate Tournament and the 2014 National Debate Coaches Association championship. Many current debaters live in the dorms, and you will find them to be beautiful, clean, safe, and state of the art. Please make sure to write extensively in the application about your commitment to, and your experience in, debate. Also, email Omar directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in this option.
If you are not eligible for a WeberEdge, and live in the Western United States, you may be eligible for a WUE, which reduces your tuition to only 1.5 times in-state tuition, instead of the full out of state tuition ($6,684+fees).
Is College Debate for Me?
Please understand that debating in college is a big commitment. And that is particularly true at Weber State University. Not all college debate programs are alike. Do you research. Get informed. We strongly recommend you read this article from Professor Allan Louden, from Wake Forest University, to help you with this process: